Water- You Need More Than You Think!



Jonathan Hewett ran the references to water (or derivatives of it) in the scriptures and determined there were 722. The first mention of water in scripture is found in Genesis 1:2 “And the earth was without form and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. The significance of water in scripture is a huge question, and one that will take up more space than I have here. We read of the first mention of life, and this life comes from water,"...Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that hath life...". This thought is again repeated in the New Testament in John 3:5."Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God." Notice here, the water birth (physical) comes before the Spirit birth (spiritual). We see the reality of this when a woman is in labor and the baby is about to be born. We wait for the 'waters to break' which surround the baby until birth. We cannot be spiritually re-born until we have first been naturally born. 

Amazing!

In John 4:14, “But whosoever drinks of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life”. When Jesus proclaimed this scripture at the end of the Feast of Tabernacles, the worshipers met God in His sanctuary--in the person of his Son. All that the temple represented is now found in Jesus. In the previous text, water is portrayed in the physical sense as well as the spiritual. I believe we need the spiritual water and the natural water in order in order to exist on earth.

What do you think?


According to HowStuffWorks.com, there's a whole lot of water on Earth! Something like 326 million trillion gallons of the stuff This water is in a constant cycle -- it evaporates from the ocean, travels through the air, rains down on the land and then flows back to the ocean. ­The oceans are huge. 

Fascinating!

About 70 percent of the planet is covered in ocean, and the average depth of the ocean is several thousand feet (about 1,000 meters). Ninety-eight percent of the water on the planet is in the oceans, and therefore is unusable for drinking because of the salt. About 2 percent of the planet's water is fresh, but 1.6 percent of the planet's water is locked up in the polar ice caps and glaciers. Another 0.36 percent is found underground in aquifers and wells. Only about 0.036 percent of the planet's total water supply is found in lakes and rivers. That's still thousands of trillions of gallons, but it's a very small amount compared to all the water available. The rest of the water on the planet is either floating in the air as clouds and water vapor, or is locked up in plants and animals. 

So, why is water so important to the body?

We can go without food for weeks but without water we die of dehydration in a few days. Over two-thirds of our body is water yet most of us don’t clearly understand the importance of drinking plain water.

Water is the most abundant compound in the human body and is necessary for the digestion of food, for the transport of food to the tissues, for the elimination of body wastes, for the circulation of body fluids (like blood and lymph), for a lubricant in the joints and internal organs - keeping them moist permitting the passage of substances between the cells and blood vessels - and for the regulation of body temperature. Water is part of the blood system holding dissolved minerals, like calcium and magnesium in solution, making them available to the body tissues when they an required for proper health.

When plain water is plentiful, blood viscosity, joint cartilage, blood capillaries digestion, the ATP energy system and the spinal column, all work in an efficient, easy manner. However, when water consumption is limited, the body robs some areas to protect different tissues and organs which results in pain, tissue damage, and a variety of common health problems.




Some of the problems treated and alleviated with adequate water intake are asthma, allergies, hypertension, high cholesterol levels, headaches, migraines, low back pain, rheumatoid arthritic joint pain, angina pain and intermittent claudication pains (cramp like pain in the legs due to insufficient blood supply).

As people age, they lose their thirst sensation and become gradually, chronically- dehydrated. All too frequently we tend to confuse thirst with hunger and instead of drinking water we eat, leading to weight gain. The physiological effect of drinking plain water is not the same as drinking beverages that contain water like: juices, sodas, coffee and tea. In fact, some of these liquids, coffee and tea, contain dehydrating agents (caffeine and theophylline) which stimulate the central nervous system which at the same time creating a strong diuretic action on the kidneys.

Dr. Batmanghelidj recommends your body needs a minimum of 8 to 8 ounces glasses of water each day. Remember, alcohol, juice, sodas, coffee, and tea don’t count as water. Most of us will find that we are drinking no more than 3 to 4 glasses per day, not 6 to 8.

Isabel De Los Rios, nutritionist, exercise and life coach suggests , “you should drink half your body weight (in pounds) in ounces of water each day: (body weight, in pounds/2). For example, a 200 pound person should drink 100 ounces of water”.

 
Water - plain, properly filtered water - is an overlooked and essential nutrient and may be your missing ingredient to a healthier, more vibrant, and longer life. The correct time to drink water will maximize its effectiveness to the body.


The best time to drink water is:
Two glasses of water – After waking up – Helps activate Internal organs.
One glass of water – 30 Minutes before meal – Helps Digestion
One glass of water – Before taking a bath – Helps lower Blood Pressure
One glass of water – Before Sleep – To avoid Stroke or Heart attack.

What are your thoughts on the water post?

References:
http://science.howstuffworks.com/environmental/earth/geophysics/question1571.htm
Batmanghelidj F. You Bodys Many Cries for Water Falls Church, VA: Global Health Solutions, 1992.
Healthy Water, Martin Fox, Ph.D.
http://www.learnthebible.org/water-in-the-bible.html
http://www.thedietsolutionprogram.com

Comments

Jasmine Johnson said…
I think that the water post is excellent for unhealthy people. Even for people who try to train their bodies the right way do not know some of these facts and proof about water, so i think its a great part of the blog for a daily routine.
DrDSpeaks said…
Jasmine,

Thank you for your comments.
Anonymous said…
Josephine Portillo
I think that water is very important for your body. You have to be careful not exceed too much because your body is only a certain amount of water and you should not exceed.
Anonymous said…
I think this blog on water is great. Many people are unaware of how important it is to hydrate yourself. We need more posts like this to further educate people of the importance of staying healthy.
DrDSpeaks said…
This has become my primary source of hydration. I don't drink sodas and have just about eliminated juices. Now coffee and tea is another issue. Thanks for your comment.
Unknown said…
i totally agree with this post. water cannot be replaced with anything else, there is nothing else like water. most don't even realize that water actually does have a taste except the human body cannot taste it, i do believe it's because we cannot taste the small minerals in it.
Anonymous said…
I loved this article, so many people I know and work with go the entire day without one drink of water, and it is definitely true that thurst is frequently confused hunger. For me specifically water helps me with unhealthy cravings it temporarily fills me up until I am able to have a meal.


-lily manzo
Anonymous said…
I knew there was tons of water on the planet just not that much..too bad we can't use it all.. some of the most beautiful places on earth are water landscapes..i think i might just stick to drinking more water rather than other liquids..the tips at the end of the blog were really interesting might just try them myself

Jasmin G =)
Tiffany G said…
So I am sort of on the fence with this one. I definitely promote drinking all the water you can, as I know all the health benefits. I unfortunately have never been one to drink much water. Thinking about it, I realize it is something that sort of scares me. I have always had really low blood pressure, like 88/55 average. So I have to check it multiple times a day anyways because if it gets much lower my organs will start failing. I have always heard my family talk about drinking lots of water to lower their blood pressure, and I guess in the back of my mind, I worried that if I drank too much it would cause mine to get too low. I do drink water during the day, but mostly before bed, as i can tell my body craves it, so I will continue to do that, but I can't see myself drinking only water, or even mostly water. Maybe I will just have to gradually add a glass or two per day and see how it goes. This information is great by the way. I think most people really underestimate the benefits that water has for your body.
Tiffany G
Damian Miranda said…
I find that when I was very active and working out daily I consumed all the water I could, my body needed it, and my body would sweat it out no problem. But when i started to come off my fitness kick I drank the same amount and gained 10 pounds... What's the middle ground?
Damian Miranda said…
I find that when I was very active and working out daily I consumed all the water I could, my body needed it, and my body would sweat it out no problem. But when i started to come off my fitness kick I drank the same amount and gained 10 pounds... What's the middle ground?
Anonymous said…
i think the amount of water is relevant to size and weight along with physical activity. i drink about a gallon of distilled water a day. people get scared of distilled but i see no point in drinking added minerals rather than pure H2O. i add about a teaspoon of pink salt to it. since i had kidney stones in 2011, i switched to distilled and i havent felt better. sleep better, knees hurt less, skin is clear and i dropped tons of weight from removing juices and such.. WATER=LIFE!
Anonymous said…
I agree that water is important. Most people (including myself) don't drink enough of it. However, I am better than I used to be and make a concerted effort to increase my daily water intake. In the last 5 years or so, I've traded in my "go to" Sprite for flavored water. I do admit I have a harder time with just plain water. I need some sort of flavor to help satisfy my thirst. I still drink soda but not very often. I don't have a weight problem so I don't see the effects in that way but I'm very aware that water (even flavored!) is much better for you than soda. I often see kids drinking Big Gulps and I think it's very sad they aren't being taught better habits. But for that to happen the parents have to put down the Big Gulp too. Do it for your kids! A.L.
Unknown said…
This has made me think about incorporating more water into my everyday diet, I am not a big fan because of the lack of flavor. I really enjoyed reading all the fascinating facts about water and its benefits to the human body. Thank you for the tips of when it is a best time to drink water.
Anonymous said…
After reading this I realized that I drink barely enough water , being an athlete I prefer to drink flavored sports drinks but after reading this I'm definitely going to drink more water from here on out.
penmag86 said…
I loved reading the best times to drink water and the reasons why. I hated water most of my life, it wasn't until a year ago the I started to enjoy and appreciate water. After reading this post I glad I have changed my ways. Thanks DrD! -HP
Anonymous said…
Water is definitely the greatest thing for you and I completely agree with the fact people underestimate how important water truly is for you. I drink close to a gallon of water a day and I feel great. There is no replacement for water it is and will remain the primary substance our bodies need to survive and to definitely be healthy. Great Article!
Anonymous said…
I learn how water is vital to life in short it is the elixir of life, 70% of our planet and our bodies are made of water, as they say in Hinduism, God says he is the sapidity in water, who knows one day water will replace our dependence on fossil fuels, it can be imagined and theoretically possible, all in all water is life!! and God.
Anonymous said…
I have found this water posts very interesting and useful. especially for people that don't seem to drink enough water. myself i love water and drink it everyday but now that i know how much I should be drinking thanks to this post I will be drinking 60 oz. everyday from now on. thanks to Isabel De Los Rios.

L Palafox
Anonymous said…
Drinking water is very essential in life. This articles are very interesting and I have never knew that the way we think different even though we are thirsty, we tend to think hunger and eat food. I might have to implentment drinking water regularly so that I can also become healthier.

Tom L
Anonymous said…
True. Water is very important for your body. Our body contain 70% of water. We can live without foods 2-3 days but we cant live without water in 1 day
Nam H
Anonymous said…
In the past, I used to underestimate the benefit of drinking 2L of water a day, until I got stones in my kidneys, and I had to go to the hospital twice for surgeries. It was really a pain. So right now, I try to drink lots of water everyday, eventhough I am not very thirsty. Thanks for sharing the information and I really like " The best time to drink water" part. (TT)
Anonymous said…
I totally agree with the water post that water is very important to the body. Drinking sufficient water helps our prevent many common health problems. I usually drink about 1.5L to 2L of water a day, and it seems to be my habit. I would feel dehydrated and tired if I did not drink enough water in one day. Thank you for sharing this post. K.D.
Anonymous said…
Water is very important for our body because over two-thirds of our body is water. I usually drink water whenever i feel thirsty, but now I have a perfect schedule with its benefits of drinking water. I will apply this water schedule to my daily life to be healthy. Thank you DrD for giving me informations about water, and the best times to drink water in a day. (N. Tran- COUN 105)
Kiersten McCall said…
Water is of major importance to all living things. Up to 60% of the human adult body is water. The brain and heart are composed of 73% water, and the lungs are about 83% water. Knowing this information especially in relation to the vital organs like the brain and heart, it is imperative that we get our daily recommended value of water intake. Dehydration can have an impact on many parts of your body; it can cause fatigue, lowered cognitive function, mood issues, a drop in blood pressure, and skin moisture. A dehydrated brain actually shrinks due to lack of water, and it has to work harder to accomplish the same as a hydrated brain.
Anonymous said…
Yes! Water is very important! As a kid, you don't think drinking water is important. I was one of those kids. I use to hate to drink water, I would be forced to drink it and avoid it at all cost. Later on, I started having problems with my kidneys because I did not drink enough water a day. Now that I am older, I have increased my water intake. I would rather drink juices instead of water as a kid but As stated in the article, drinking juices, soda, and coffee do not count as water intake, these can actually cause dehydration!

-A.T.

Popular Posts