Guard Your Heart...Go Nuts!!!


Proverbs 4:23 states: Watch over your heart with all diligence, for from it flows the springs of life. (NASB) Why is this so important? Because our hearts guide and direct all that we do. All of our choices and actions are driven by the desires of our heart. If we do not guard the heart it can lead to spiritual ruin.  Basically, who we are in Christ is being formed in our hearts. If we allow our heart to be filled with perverse things, we live at odds with God.

 Even though this Old Testament scripture focuses on a spiritual message regarding the heart, we can also look at it from the natural man’s perspective. Let us take a closer look at the heart.  According to www.worldvisible.com, the heart is one of the most important organs in the entire human body.  It is really nothing more than a pump, composed of muscle which pumps blood throughout the body, beating approximately 72 times per minute of our lives.  The heart pumps the blood, which carries all of the vital materials which help our bodies function and removes the waste products that we do not need. For example, the brain requires oxygen and glucose, which, if not received continuously, will cause it to lose consciousness. Muscles need oxygen, glucose and amino acids, as well as the proper ratio of sodium, calcium and potassium salts in order to contract normally.  The glands need sufficient supplies of raw materials from which to manufacture the specific secretions.  If the heart ever ceases to pump blood the body begins to shut down and after a very short period of time will die. One way to keep the blood pumping properly is to eat nuts.

How can eating nuts help your heart? According to the Mayo Clinic staff, people who eat nuts as part of a heart-healthy diet can lower the LDL, low density lipoprotein which is the “bad” cholesterol level in the blood. A high LDL is one of the main antecedents of heart disease. Eating nuts reduces blood clot and heart attack risks. Nuts can improve the lining of the arteries. Although there is no scientific proof but the evidence suggests that eating nuts reduces heart disease according to the Food and Drug Administration. What are the ingredients in nuts that are thought to create a healthy heart?  Most nuts contain the following substances:

·        Unsaturated fats-It is not clear why but the “good” fats in nuts- both monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats-lower “bad” cholesterol levels (LDL).
·       Omega-3 fatty acids. Nuts are rich in Omega-3 fatty acids. Omega-3s prevent dangerous heart rhythms that can lead to heart attacks. They are also found in fish like salmon.
·       Fiber. All nuts contain fiber which helps lower the cholesterol. Fiber helps a person feel full therefore you eat less. It plays a significant role in preventing diabetes.
·        Vitamin E. It may help stop the development of placques in the arteries which cause them to narrow. Placque can produce chest pain, coronary artery disease or heart attack.
·       Plant Sterols. Another substance that lowers cholesterol. Plant sterols are often added to margarine and orange juice but are naturally found in nuts.
·         L-arginine. A substance that helps improve the artery walls by making them more flexible, less prone to blood clots, and block blood flow.

A word of caution on eating a lot of nuts. Nuts contain a lot of fat. Almost 80 percent of the nut is fat. Nuts should be eaten in moderation. The best way to eat them as a substitute for saturated fats, such as those found in meats, eggs, and dairy products. Try eating a handful. The Food and Drug Administration suggests about 1.5 ounces or 42.5 grams per day. Nuts such as almonds, pistachios, pecans, walnuts, and some pine nuts may reduce a person’s risk of heart disease.

I love eating nuts! I eat about 10 pistachios, 20 almonds, and about 20 walnuts everyday. I sprinkle the walnuts in my Fiber One Honey Clusters Cereal for breakfast therefore I am getting extra fiber in my diet. 

Come on…Guard Your Heart. Go Nuts!!!




References:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/nuts/HB00085


http://www.worldinvisible.com/apologet/humbody/heart.htm


What is your favorite nut(s) you like to eat? How do you eat them?




Comments

Chef Mauricimo's said…
My favorite nuts are walnuts, pecans, almonds because in the culinary world you can do so much with them. I do agree with you dr. d on how the heart is the strongest organ that our body has and need. Thinking about the heart and how we can look at it in two perspective ways which are the emotional and the physical and how it reacts. Physically we can do nothing without our heart, we would be dead. Emotionally our heart goes through a roller coaster ride going up and down and twisting and turning, all because some of us use that as our thinking process. And I am one of them and even though I might be young and has made mistakes in life, I learned from them and moved on, but the heart taught me that I could go through that and come out stronger. So as for me I will continue basing my judgment on my heart opinion and also keep it strong and healthy so I can see many more wonderful adventures.
DrDSpeaks said…
Thanks Chef for your support.
Valerie Hoang said…
I love nuts! I snack on them when I don't have time for a longer break. I love them because they make me full and very energetic! One thing I did not know is that it can help the heart. That was a very fascinating fact for me to acknowledge. I will for sure get my family to eat more nuts, especially my grandma, who has a heart problem. Thanks for the information Professor Wooten!
Anonymous said…
Our heart is the most important organ of our body. It is important we propertly take care of our body and heart.

Lopez, Yessica
Psy
Anonymous said…
It truly is important for people to take care of there hearts because without it we cant survive. This article is great because its giving you ways to combat heart disease through a very simple and healthy way. I eat a handful of almonds just about everyday to make sure i'm getting enough protein and to lower my LDL. Heart disease runs in my family so i'm doing what I can to ensure that I stay healthy and safe. This article would definitely benefit people with heart disease and people who have heart disease running in there family. Great Article!
Unknown said…
Okay, so now that I know nuts is a good food for our heart, I guess I should try to take as much nuts as I can despite the fact that I hate nuts. But I think I would go nuts if I take too much nuts lol.
Thanks for sharing this useful information.

Popular Posts