Coffee-Cancer-Connections



I just love coffee! Although, I am not a true coffee drinker because I must have cream added with a sweetener. A true coffee drinker has it black with nothing in it. Yuk! I was introduced to coffee drinking by my aunt. My aunt (who is the eldest) and my dad were born on the same day but 10 years apart. She would drink her coffee with three sugars and two teaspoons of cream in a cup and saucer. Then she would pour some of the coffee from the cup into the saucer and drink from the saucer. She would say, "this coffee is really good”. One day when I visited my aunt, I asked her if I could taste what she was drinking. I was about 10 or 11 years old. Initially, she said “no”. But I persisted in asking until she gave me a sip. After the sip, I never thought about drinking coffee again until I started college.

Although, my parents drank coffee daily. When I became older, I started drinking coffee in the morning as a way to get me going for the day. Paul Ballardin, the founder of Coffee Shrine stated “Coffee is widely known as the world’s most popular beverage for kick starting the day and many people typically start their morning with a ritual cup of freshly extracted coffee”. Later on, for me coffee would facilitate conversations that I would have with my parents usually in the early evening right after dinner. We would brew a pot of coffee and talk about everything-such as their grandchildren, work, church-it did not matter. Those were good times! It was weird, for most people caffeine would stimulate them and cause an inability to sleep. However, my mom and I, could drink coffee at night and it would put us right to sleep. On the other hand, dad was like the majority of the people.

When mom unexpectedly died two years ago, my dad and I continued the tradition of conversation over a cup of coffee in the evenings. We pondered the shock of losing her so fast, especially when she was doing so well from the heart attacks she experienced prior. Two months after her death, dad was diagnosed with a rare sinus cancer. His illness catapulted into weekly chemotherapy, radiation, rehabilitation and hospital stays until his transition. Our family had no time to grieve the loss of my mother and now we were faced with another challenge. But that is not all, two weeks after dad’s diagnosis; I was diagnosed with breast cancer. Subsequently, I had other personal challenges that I was confronted with at the time related to school and work.

Needless to say, these situations appeared to be bleak for our family. But, I am told that the “eye of the storm” or center is the “calmest place” and the strong tropical cyclones on the outer wall are where the severe weather resides. I believe it was God who kept our family in the “calmest place”. He sent caring friends and family members to visit to say “I am praying for you”, just to sit and talk with us, and to assist wherever they could. For example, when I was at the hospital or the rehabilitation center where my dad resided, at least two or three times a week I would get a visit from my cousin. He would call or text and say, “Have you had anything to eat today? Or do you want some company?” Now here is a young man (early 20s) in school and working who could be “hanging out” with his friends, but chose to come to the hospital or the rehabilitation center to be with his uncle and to see about his cousins. That was special! The conversation would be about anything. His length of stay would be no more than an hour because he would have to return to school or work. But it really meant a lot.

My cousin works at Starbucks. Even after dad passed, I would still get the phone calls or text messages, checking to see if I had lunch or dinner. One day, my cousin brought me a sample of the new Starbucks Via flavored coffee. This is not an instant coffee but a ready-brew coffee. All you add is hot water. My favorite is Cinnamon-Spice. As you know, coffee is a well-known antioxidant and recent studies show that coffee has health benefits not only to brain function and mental alertness. Drinking coffee has positive effects in other lifestyle diseases like Type II Diabetes and is also known to retard the growth of cancer cells. So not only do people find more than enough reasons to enjoy their daily coffee for its great taste , it also provides an enjoyable means of having a positive influence on one’s health.

For that reason, my cousin and I have designated Wednesdays and Thursdays as the time we will have Cinnamon-Spice coffee after work and Zumba class respectively. We talk about our goals, aspirations for the future as well as our past. So, my cousin and I are continuing the tradition of celebrating the memories of two wonderful people that have had a huge impact on our both of our lives-My Parents.

Do you have traditions you like to celebrate? 
Share one of them.

Comments

ewwatl said…
Great conversation Dr. D! I remember when I took my fiancé- to- be home to meet my family. It was a great opportunity for them to get to know him and vice versa. That morning over breakfast my mother and Dad drank coffee, along with my fiancé. I poured myself a cup of coffee also. My Mom looked at me and said, "Oh, YOU drink coffee now?" I gave her the side eye and my hubby cracked up! She was making it clear that coffee was for "grown folk". To this day, nine years later when my now Husband and and I drink our morning coffee together he says "You drink coffee now?" in my Mom's voice. He does this at least once a week! Even though Mom has been gone for seven years he keeps our coffee tradition going!
DrDSpeaks said…
Thanks for sharing. That was a wonderful story.
Anonymous said…
Coffee has been a part of my daily routine since I was a little girl. My mother would boil water with a cinnamon stick. She would add sugar and creamer to this concoction and give it to me as "coffee." I have a cup of coffee daily now. The best coffee i have is on Mondays. My girlfriend and I get together before our night class to get our coffee fix. Wonderful conversation stems out of our get-together. Our fix also keeps us stimulated through the night class, which is taken very positively. It is good to know that it is healthy to consume.
nick s. said…
I never really started drinking coffee until my trip to France in 2011. Everybody would have a cup during any time of the day and I started to do the same. Now, I drink coffee every morning, after every meal and during sit-downs with my buddies. I pretty much had the same reaction when I took my first sip of coffee just as you did, which brought back funny memories. Now, it's pretty much a necessity in my life. I didn't know coffee was good for you either until i read this post. Good post!
Unknown said…
Great Story!! I am a coffee lover. I know all the benefits that the coffee has, but as you know everything in excess is not good. I will continue enjoying my coffee every morning. I am the ones that loves the dark coffee no sugar, just straight.
Unknown said…
I also like to add creamer to my coffee and have never had it straight black. My family tradition would be having a real family dinner every Sunday on a real dinner table with out any kind of technology and just have a family conversation about our day. <3
P.S have you tried the Starbucks Via iced coffee yet? It is one of my favorites besides my all time favorite white chocolate mocha.
-Alexis
Anonymous said…
I've been a die-hard coffee drinker since I was 15 and the caffeine has much the same effect on me as it does on you. I tend to have much more vivid dreams if I sleep shortly after drinking coffee, though. I'm glad coffee was able to help keep things together for you during such a troubling time. Sharing a cup of coffee with friends/family is one of my favorite rituals and it brings joy to me to hear that I'm not the only one that reveres it in such a way.
Anonymous said…
Thanks for sharing your story DrD. I am happy to hear that something as wonderful as coffee is also good for me too. I remember as a little girl visiting my grandmother and I just loved the smell of coffee. She would make a pot of it and add some sweet and condensed milk to her cup. I remember wanting to grow up so I could have some too. Well now I enjoy that cup of coffee (but with flavored creamer instead) with my grandmother when I am able to visit her at her assisted living home. We both enjoy a good chat over a nice cup of coffee.
Anonymous said…
I always thought that drinking coffee would be the opposite. Because it can be very harmful for your stomach over all in the morning. I was surprised that coffee decreases the glucose levels, and prevents certain cancers. My question is why doctors don't promote its use. Maybe because beverages from restaurants have a lot of calories or because coffee produces side effects like nervousness or lack of sleep.(BZ)
Anonymous said…
Great post! I am a coffee lover and I usually drink coffee every morning as a starting a new day. I have started drink coffee since I was a teenager boy and later on, being a coffee addicted when I get older and know much about the benefits of coffee. In Vietnam, you will see coffee is more concentrate than in US, and its taste also is different, and it worth if you can try it once. However, they have the same effects and drink it once a day might prevent you from some serious illness like a certain cancer or heart attack. That is a wonderful product from nature.
Anonymous said…
really enjoyed reading your blog . My family and i also have a tradition similar to yours. Every sunday everyone comes home to my moms house and have coffee aswell and talk about how our week went and discuss future plans. it is such a great way to stay in communication as a family. And also to have my moms special coffee which i have to say is the best .
-rg
Unknown said…
Wow im impressed! Im a coffee lover need coffee at least once a day mostly mornings. My mom is a fan of black coffee. I dont know how she likes it i taste in nasty but she told me she has been like that for years. Since i was born. I love Starbucks coffees i cant say hw much i wastd there my friends say i waste all my check in there which i think is to much but yes i do by Starbucks too much. Just doing coffee at hie isnt the same. Im impressed thoughthat coffee actually helps to prrvent cancer. I sure will continue to drink coffee. I understand the struggle workout coffee because i have tried to not drink it but its impossible for me.
Anonymous said…
Nice story, thanks for sharing. I'm a huge coffee lover. I have to drink at least one cup of coffee a day when I'm at school. My dad never liked me drinking coffee, although I see nothing wrong with it. Although I'm not addicted to it, I can go with out with out coffee and I don't have a headache if I don't drink it.
-S.H
Erica Medina said…
Thank you for sharing, I enjoy a warm cup of coffee specially with sweat bread. My mother is a big coffee lover . It never fail's for her to offer me a cup of coffee when I arrive at her house. At work I mostly get a cup of coffee if I am very tired . It help's me wake up and black coffee is the best it help's me stay awake. I will never say no to a cup of coffee I enjoy it hot or cold.

Erica Medina
Anonymous said…
That was a great story! Im also a coffee lover and I've also started drinking coffee at a young age, maybe at 15? But I don't think I'm a true coffee drinker as well as I cannot drink black coffee at all. For me, its the taste and smell, it doesn't really keep me up anymore but I sure cant drink it at night as it would make my insomnia worse. Coffee has many beneficial factors, as it also has many risks. As long as we drink the in moderation we should be okay. I try not drink every single day or have more than a cup a day. Thanks for sharing your story.

-T Navarro

Popular Posts