Why Do Men Hate Going To The Doctor?



In creating this post, I thought about how diligent my father was in caring for his physical body. He use to quote a scripture in 1 Corinthians 6: 19-20 which states: "Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body". (NIV)  He really believed this and demonstrated it by eating the right foods, not drinking or smoking, exercising at the gym and walking in the neighborhood. He did this for years. My dad was also very good about going to his annual check-ups at the dentist and the doctor. When he became ill and was hospitalized, the nurses were amazed that my dad still had all of his teeth! My dad was known for his classic smile. He listened to his body. You know the body will tell you when something is wrong with it. When my dad began experiencing the symptoms of his illness, he did not wait until it was too late (as some men do) but acted immediately by going to see his  doctor.

I found this article which is about the reasons why men tend to avoid medical check-ups.  The author is Jennifer Alinio, who writes some of the reasons why men dislike medical examinations and why men should start paying more attention to their health.  The article also lists some of the most common ailments experienced by men. I also decided to add some cartoon humor created by T. McCracken.


It is a fact that most men dislike going to the doctor. Getting a medical examination is seen as a “weakness” or a very unmanly thing to do, at least for the traditional, macho-types. Some men actually need to be dragged by the girlfriend or the wife to the doctor\'s office just to get a check-up. But why do they literally hate going to the doctor? Well, most men are very private and do not want to be touched especially by another man. An appointment with the doctor is also very time-consuming, and men hate that. Another reason is that men have a “primal survival instinct” that makes them avoid any situation that will possibly subject their body to any invasive procedure such as being injected with a needle. Lastly, men are great at denial --- even for health matters. Most men tend to put-off visiting a doctor until they reach their mid-40s to 50s.


But whether they like it or not, men must accept the fact that they are mortal. Health problems are inevitable in the same way that death is inescapable. Men can no longer deny or put-off the need to have regular medical check-ups.

Many serious health cases among men could have been treated had they received medical attention in the early stages of the disease. Preventive care is as important as taking a bath and brushing our teeth. Routine examinations are undeniably essential to identify symptoms and detect disease. When doctors perform a check-up, they need to be fully aware of the patient\'s medical history, age, body weight, and dietary habits. These information will help the doctor determine the risk factors and predisposition of the patient to certain illnesses.


Most men only visit the doctor when they feel terribly bad or once they see very alarming signs or symptoms of illness. Shown below are some of the most common ailments experienced by men:


1. Heart Attack – Many victims of heart attack die before they reach the hospital. Many die not even knowing that they had a heart problem. victims died before ever reaching the hospital. It is never too early to get a heart check-up since even young people are now prone to heart disease.

2. Hypertension – It is a medical condition where a person\'s blood pressure is chronically elevated. Common symptoms of hypertension include headaches, fatigue, dizziness, and facial flushing.


3. High Cholesterol – Cholesterol is a fat-like, waxy substance that is found in human cells. It is also found in the fatty food that we eat. Cholesterol is important for the production of hormones and other substances that aid in food digestion. However, too much “bad” cholesterol or the build-up of cholesterol in the arteries leading to the heart makes a person more prone to heart attack.


4. Cancers – The Big “C” is actually made up of various types of cancers. Men are prone to colon and prostate cancer --- both of which can be treated if these diseases are detected early.


 5. Anxiety Disorder – A growing number of men are being diagnosed with anxiety disorder, an emotional and psychological condition that is characterized by fear, apprehension, phobia, and other nervous conditions that are considered to be baseless or irrational.


The Best Line of Defense


Regular doctor\'s check-ups, including sessions with a psychologist, should be strongly considered by men if they want to maintain their health. These examinations may entail the conduct of a blood pressure reading, weight and height measurements, EENT (Eye, Ear, Nose, Throat) examination, complete blood count, urinalysis, chest-ray, and ECG (electrocardiograph). Other important medical examinations no man above 40 should miss include:


· Routine examination of prostrate glands


· Annual stool examination


· Digital Rectal Examination (DRE)


Staying alive and healthy could entail some expenses but becoming ill is more expensive in terms of time and money. These are some of the simple ways that men can improve or maintain their health without spending a fortune:


1. Smoking - The World Health Organization has consistently campaigned against smoking due to its close links to lung cancer and other deadly pulmonary diseases.


2. Alcohol - Habitual and excessive intake of alcohol increases the risk of cardiovascular, liver and stomach problems among men.


3. Eating unhealthy food - Wrong food choices contribute to illness in a major way. Foods high in bad cholesterol should be totally avoided.


4. Risky Sexual Behavior - Promiscuity is a health risk since a man can expose himself to sexually transmitted disease.


5. Stress - Too much work pressure and too little sleep? Stress and anxiety can trigger problems like heart attacks and psycho-emotional disorders.


As the saying goes health is wealth. An ounce of prevention is worth more than a pound of cure. Indeed, men should start paying more attention to their health and not postpone appointments with their doctor. Staying healthy and strong is the real macho thing to do --- even if entails going to the doctor once in a while.


Do you know of men who hate going to the doctor? What reasons do they give for not going? How can you help them?


Post your comment.


References:


http://www.articlesbase.com/medicine-articles/why-men-hate-doctors-216908.html
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/6-19.htm
http://www.mchumor.com



Comments

Anonymous said…
My great grandfather hates going to the dr. he is very old like around 90 and he has to go to dr. often like every other day and if im not there or 1 of my family members he will give my great grandmother a hard time so when im there i try my best to help out by getting him out of his bed and help getting him ready and stuff i try and be the helping hand because i know he apperciate it and my grandmother does also
shannon b pd5
DrDSpeaks said…
Shannon,
Always take a family member with the elderly to the doctor. It is better for them plus the family member can hear things that the patient often times misses. Thanks for your comment.
Unknown said…
I cannot not believe i came across this post, why because i am one of those men that just absolutely hate going to any type of doctor. which is a weird response especially from me since when i was 13-20 the hospital was my second home. also it's not like i had experience with my stay at the hospital or with check ups, i actually had a great time and everyone was amazing. i just don't like to go in for check ups or anything. even when i am sick i will do some home remedies or just tough it out. However, now that i read this post, i would like to be a strong person when i grow older like your father still have everything in tact. now i see that if i continue the way i am i won't achieve that and i definitively want to see some day some grand kids and even some great grand kids. Once again thank you for your post, this one felt like you were talking directly to me
Anonymous said…
My dad has always joked “If I die, I die” or “At least I’ll die happy” whenever someone lectured him about his diabetes. It took him over 30 years after first being treated for Diabetes to take his health seriously. He is a perfect example of somebody who lived their younger years without a care of the consequences of their actions. Today, he has to take 4 different medications for his diabetes alone. He is also being treated for depression, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol. As much as I hate to see him as an example of how not to live, I have to, because I don’t want to lose control of my health as I get older.
--Danielle Baeza
ckthompson said…
I have a dear friend who hates going to the doctor because the doctors treat him poorly and he hates going alone and he just as he says doesn't know how to talk to them. I encourage him to get the treatment he needs on a regular basis. he lives in Texas and i live in California so not much i can do from here or yet...he cant just find new doctors as he is a disabled gulf war vet and is stuck with the va doctors. they don't like seeing him cause there really isn't much they can do and if he keeps going in they will have to raise his disability status which they don't want to do. its really sad because the attitude makes it so much harder for him to get the care he needs.
Unknown said…
I have the complete opposite problem with my father, he makes sure his doctor visits are at a minimal. I think alot of it has to do with pride and not wanting to face the fact that he is having health issues. He lives based on the idea that "if its my time to go then so be it." Of course no one in the family agree with that. I wish he to would see that what he puts in his body is of high importance.

-Lily Manzo
Anonymous said…
I can relate to this article base on my own personal experience. I too haven't pass the theory of going to get check up because I am afraid of what I will find out. I haven't been to the doctors office for almost 10 years because of that excuse. After reading this I am going to take advantage of my work health benefit since it is free of charge for me.

Nas A.
Tiffany G said…
I actually really enjoyed reading this little blurb. My father is the man you are talking about. He has always dreaded having to go to the Dr. He would wait until he couldn't get out of bed before finally making an appointment. My mom was always getting on him telling him he is just prolonging his own agony by waiting, but it never helped. I have definitely noticed a difference though since he has made it to his 50's. He now thinks he needs to go for everything or he will die, but then when he has to have blood work and they tell him to lower his cholesterol, or that his triglycerides are high, he says that they know nothing and he continues to eat what he wants.
I on the other hand don't prefer to go to the doctor for the fact that I am afraid that any news they give me will be bad news. I am slowly working on this :)
Tiffany G- Psych 118
Anonymous said…
This post was all too familiar. I have found myself more then once at one end of a tug-of-war to get my husband to the doctor. It really amazes me the amount of time a man will wait before going to get an ailment checked out. It took my husband not being able to even stand up, to get him into the ER to see a doctor! Had he listened to me from the very first sign of discomfort and went in for a quick check it could have saved us all a lot of stress, not to mention his health, pain and suffering. When will they learn?
C.Bravo
Calagot said…
Man here, can confirm.
I went to the doctor after not going for a while. I have a bad medical history. Most of it is due to smoking. I've been smoking since I was 13. That's more than 10 years. I don't smoke anymore, it's been a few weeks, but my mindset is different now after visiting the doctor. It was funny because it was tough love on my physician's part. He gave it to me straight. If I don't quit smoking, drinking and eating poorly, I'm going to die young. I don't really want to die, so I quit smoking, drinking. The eating healthy is the hard part.
Anonymous said…
This is a great article. In my time here on earth I have witnessed several men that absolutely did not go to the doctor until it was to late. I never associated it as a sign of weakness. I am proud to say my father takes immaculate care of himself. He has donated bone marrow and also donates blood to the red cross monthly and has done so for years. This article gave me great information and yet another reason I have such great respect for my Dad. Thank you for sharing... Tracy
Unknown said…
After reading this article I haven't even noticed if my dad even does go to his doctor. I never thought about it. However, if I was in a relationship with a man I would try to convince him to go as soon as he can so nothing bad would happen later on. Plus if he goes right away he would be over with it and won't have to keep thinking about having to go. If he took my advice and does go and felt awful afterwards I would try to cheer him up by suggesting we go have a nice meal or watch a good show afterwards or something to get the bad memory off his mind.
Anonymous said…
After reading this I realized my older brother hates going to the doctors after reading this I'm going to push him into going to the doctors more.
Unknown said…
To whom ever first declared that men hate going to the doctors, you are right. For some reason I have a feeling it was a woman. Anyways... I can agree with the big "C". They say cancer can not be passed on through generations, and yet if you look at my dads side of the family I doubt that is true. My pops has dealt with Lymphoma type cancer a few years ago. My older sister had leukemia at the age of 9. My grandmother past away November of last year of malignant cancer... you get the point. I hate going to get my blood checked, fearing that one day i get the news of having a form of cancer. To top it off I have a hearing problem w/ my right ear. 7 surgeries to that ear and just the thought of going to see the audiologist or Dr. Ishiyama gives me chills. so yes we men hate going to the doctor. Any type of doctor!
Unknown said…
Why do I hate going to the doctor? Because it is a major pain in the ass! From the snotty, incompetent front desk workers to the arrogant and unpleasant doctors with a chip on their shoulder. There's nothing worse than to put up with attitudes when I'm not feeling well. May be difficult for some of you to understand, but I'd rather suffer at home and die a painful death then interact with some of these people. It's also all about money to these folks! Haggling about insurance becomes paramount; if you don't have any, or the wrong type, good luck! Speaking of which, when was the last time any major illness was cured??? I'll go out the way my old man did, self-induced euthanasia via hard liquor and an unpleasant wife!!!!
Anonymous said…
I read the whole thing! Spot on! That's me! You're right, it seems to take a woman to persuade me to go. Thx to you, I'm more motivated now!

J. Karam C105
Casey McGuire said…
Very interesting article. I agree it is very important to have annual visits with a doctor. Unfortunately, my grandfather was one of those "macho men" who never went to the doctor, so out of nowhere he died of a heart attack. It is good advice to treat your body like a temple and always have annual check ups.

Casey M. C105
Heejin said…
Interestingly enough, I realize I nodded my head in agreement to many of the reasons why men dislike going to the doctor and I am a woman! I don't like seeing a doctor because I don't like to be touched by a stranger, I find it very time-consuming and don't like losing money by taking time off of work, and I also dislike going to the doctor because sometimes I am afraid of what I might find out. There is a lot of fear and anxiety associated with going to the doctor and I find hospitals to be places filled with sadness and illness.

Another point: my boyfriend recently broke his finger playing basket ball and has yet to see a doctor about it because he claims that he is too busy or doesn't have time. His finger is still swollen and I keep telling him to get medical attention but he refuses to, saying that the swelling will go away.

Thanks,
Heejin
Vivian O said…
To be honest I clicked on this post for the funny doctor meme, but then I actually read the post and I was happy that clicked on this post. Your blog is relatable, full of information, and gives life experiences that helps reach out to the reader emotions. I'm sorry for the lost of your father but from what I read it seems he was great religious healthy man. I also love how you put the bible quote in there, and it got me thinking that I should start doing this so that when I get older my body would be too nice and healthy and in shape.
Vivian O.
Anonymous said…
After reading this article it reminded me how my grandfather used to complain about his chest pain he would get sudden stabbing pain but hr always refused to go to the doctor to see what what going on. Instead of going to the doctor he went to Costco and he would buy some juices that would help if you had heart problems.
S.P.
Anonymous said…
As a male that does not go to the doctor frequently enough, I was grateful to read this post and be reminded about why it is important. I feel fearful of the doctors because I am afraid of needles and also because I do not want to hear bad news. Plus, it can be expensive and I do not want a huge medical bill to pay. However, I know that avoiding the doctor is not the answer because it could endanger my health in the long run and it is better not to let my fear and pride get in the way of making sure that I am in the best shape I can be. Because of this post, I want to make sure I schedule a check-up soon.

V.M.
Anonymous said…
I really loved the way this post was formatted. Very easy to follow long and felt like an effortless read.
As an EMS professional, I feel a very personal connection to this. More so than female patients, male patients require additional comfort and reassurance that they are doing the right thing by being seen by a doctor or related professional. I haven't thought much about it, but reflecting on it now, it all makes sense. My male patients often feel as though they are weak or lesser of a man for needing assistance, even in extreme cases such as heart attacks or temporary disabilities.
I'm glad you brought light and clarity to this issue. I will absolutely keep this in mind when interacting with future male patients.

Kindly,
A.S.
Anonymous said…
In a recent nationwide poll conducted by the Cleveland Clinic, 77% of males said they would prefer to go shopping with their spouse or significant other than visiting the doctor. In actuality, 72% of men say they would rather clean the bathroom or mow the grass than visit the doctor. Taking care of their health is typically near the top of the list of things that men are stubborn about, according to Eric Klein, MD, chairman of the Cleveland Clinic. In fact, 65% of males tend to put off visiting a doctor when they experience any kind of accident or medical condition. This is especially true for men between the ages of 35 and 54, of whom 72% reported trying to stick it out before visiting the doctor, as opposed to 59% of men over the age of 55. 20% of males confess they haven't always been entirely honest with their PCP, even among those who do visit the doctor. Why didn't they be honest?
46% expressed embarrassment.
40% of respondents claimed to be uneasy
39% of respondents claimed they feared judgment.
38% of people stated they believed their health issue would go away on its own.
D.L
Anonymous said…
I have dealt with partners who never wanted to get help for themselves whether it was physical, mental, or emotional. Society and upbringing have pounded into men's heads at a young age that asking for help, and crying is a sign of weakness. That a real man doesn't need help. A real man never cries. As a woman, I find it shows more strength to be able to ask for help. Even as a woman it's hard to ask for help, to cry, and show you're vulnerability to others. But being able to actually reach out and ask for help shows you are not weak.

Popular Posts